November 08, 2011

Sunday Lunch

I love being alone at home. When the house is empty, I have the sudden desire to do things. I think it's the excitement that takes away the usual laziness (not that I don't love having the rest of the family at home.) Sometimes I resort to frenzied house tidying or singing along to insanely loud music and sometimes I cook.


Red + Green + White = Perfect meal
If the meal has all three colours, it generally means that you've included something from each food group, i.e. carbohydrate, protein, fat, vitamins and minerals.




This is a relatively easy meal.


For the pasta- Make simple tomato sauce while the pasta is boiling- same recipe as used here


For the broccoli cheese- steam broccoli like I did in this recipe. For the cheese sauce- Put 2 tablespoons of butter (50g) in a hot pan and add 2 tablespoons of flour. Stir well and add 200ml of milk. Keep stirring till it thickens. Add 2 tsps of garlic salt. 
Then pour sauce over broccoli and grate cheese over the top (I used Red Leicester). Put in the oven for about ten minutes.


While that is baking, make the bruschetta. This is not the usual raw one that I do. I cooked it. Chop up 2 tomatoes into small pieces. Add to hot pan with a tablespoon of olive oil. Let the tomatoes cook well till soft. Add pinch of salt and pinch of lemon pepper. Lastly, add a tbsp of pesto- recipe here


NOTE: If you don't have any bought pesto and don't feel like making it from scratch, you could even add chopped up basil leaves. 


Add the tomatoes to lightly toasted bread and then chop up some mozzarella for the top.


By this time, the cheese on the broccoli will be nicely melted. Take out from the oven and rest for about 5 minutes while the sauce thickens again.


Potato Patty- This is the easiest part of the meal. Take out 1 McCain patty from freezer. Defrost and lightly brown on a pan with a smear of oil. 


Voila. And the meal is done. This was enough for 2, so my brother got to eat some for dinner. 




Ate in front of the TV while I watched 'Gone with the Wind' (Well, just a part of it. That movie is 4 hours!) 
Perfect Sunday afternoon. :)

No comments: