July 26, 2011

LCTP

Lemon Cake Top Pudding- For as long as I can remember, we've called it LCTP. My Mum said its one of the easiest and most rewarding dessert recipes. She said years ago, just after she got married, she made trays upon trays of this for over 100 people. 




This was the second time I've made this. I don't think it's easy to go wrong.


Combine 1 cup of sugar, 4 tbsp of sifted flour and a pinch of salt in a bowl. Add 2 tbsp of melted butter and 5 tbsp of lemon juice. (I used lemons and limes for the juice). Also add the rind of one lemon/2 limes and 3 egg yolks. Mix together with an electric beater till nice and smooth.


Whisk the 3 egg whites on full speed of the electric beater till stiff peaks are formed. They say, that for stiff peaks you should be able to hold the bowl upside down over your head without it falling out. I did that :) BUT- I suggest not to try that, because it may not always work. Basically, get stiff peaks of the egg whites that hold their shape.


Carefully fold in the egg whites in the other mixture. Very carefully. When baked, the egg whites form the 'cake top' part of the pudding. So, if you mix too much you may be left with only 'lemon pudding'. 




Pour into buttered baking dish. I used a glass dish, since it is served directly out of the dish. Next time I want to try making it in individual ramekins- like this. Put the dish into a water bath (small dish into a bigger dish with water. Water about an inch high) which prevents the pudding at the bottom from burning. Bake for 45 minutes in 180 degree centigrade oven, or until the top is golden and looks perfectly baked. I made a double recipe, hence 2 trays.


Can be eaten warm, but its best (I think) cold. Serve with ice cream. It is quite heavenly. Mmmm.




Note: 
1. If you put extra lemon juice (like I did)- you'll get very runny and very lemony pudding. Still good.
2. If you spread out the top evenly (I didn't do this) it may look better once out of the oven- Mine was a bit patchy. But, it doesn't really make a difference to the taste. 




Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy!


I looked up the origin of the phrase. According to UrbanDictionary- 

'It comes from a 1970's british TV commercial for Lemon Squeezy detergent. They were with a little girl who points out dirty greasy dishes to an adult (mom or relative) and then this adult produces Lemon Squeezy and they clean the dishes quickly. At the end of the commercial the girl says "Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy".'

Then I found it was used in the movie 'In the Loop'- Funny clip. This guy did some research on the phrase- check it out.

1 comment:

Ur BrOtHeR!!! said...

LOVE THIS RECIPE!!! nd love this taste!!!! :D