September 01, 2011

Egg-less Chocolate Cake



One more cake post! There may be a break from cakes after this one. No more birthdays for a while and I don't think any other reasons for cake-baking will come up soon.


This one's for all the vegans/lacto-vegetarians and all those who still love chocolate cake regardless of whether or not it has egg.


I have friends who miss out on my baking because of the above reason, and this recipe cures all that. It's the easiest recipe on the planet, and I'm not just saying that only for those who like baking.


It's taken from the cookbook, 'An Apple a Day'


First sift 1 1/3 cups of flour, 1/4 cup cocoa, 1 tsp of baking soda and pinch of salt (enhances chocolate flavour) In a bowl, beat together 1 cup of sugar, 1/2 cup of oil, 1 tsp of vanilla and 1 tbsp of lemon juice. Add dry ingredients to wet. Mix in 1 cup of cold water and mix till its nice and smooth.


Bake in a buttered and floured tin for half an hour to forty minutes in a 180 degree oven. I suggest frosting it. There's never too much chocolate.




Note: I was told that the cake lacked sweetness. So, either add more sugar, or use Demerara sugar instead, or put a really really thick layer of icing. :)



2 comments:

Shalini Govil said...

Thanks for this egg-less recipe...am sending the link to my pure-veg friend HC who bought himself an oven before discovering that most baking recipes involve eggs! Would love some frame-by-frame egg-less recipes for him from my all-time favourite baker:)

Tanisha Christo said...

Send him this link too http://veganyumyum.com/

One of the best Vegan food blogs I've come across.